Runny Nose! Bless you! Are you one of those people who get the common cold pretty quick? It’s so tiring to cope up with the constantly running nose and the watery eyes. All the tissues disappear in the blink of an eye; not to mention the exasperation of cleaning the nose over and over again and not being able to see properly.
You will get a runny nose if you’ve been out in the cold, or have had too much iced beverages in a go. Bacteria, unhealthy environment and dust allergy are secondary factors. On the other hand, runny eyes can be a result of an allergic reaction, or obstruction of the tear drain.
Here are some simple methodologies that can cure these little problems very soon:
- Pressure: Press down on the corner of your nose and apply gentle pressure. Pressure points in the nasal passage can aid in relieving sinus congestion and body pains that result from colds. The best method would be to press enough so that your nose is closed. Keep doing it for a number of times to feel the difference. If it doesn’t help, try adding similar pressure on the area above your eye.
- Steam up: Use a steamer or boil water in a pan. Breath into the hot air that comes from the boiling water; it will clear the nasal passage by clearing the sinus jamming. It will help your headaches as well.
- Decongestants: Nasal decongestants such as Vicks are available at drugstores. The strong smell of methanol will relieve your runny nose. Apply a bit of it on the outside of the nostrils or inhale.
- Blow it out: If your nose wants to run, keep it running. If you get the excess fluid out of your system you’ll feel much better. Make sure to keep a handful of tissues by your side which are preferably soft.
- Lemon and honey with warm water: Liquids keep your body hydrated. That is why by drinking a lot of fluid will help your body to battle against dangerous bacteria. A mixture of warm water, lemon and honey will help to break the congestion and help you breathe freely.
[Read Also: Home Remedies To Treat Cold & Flu ]
- Antihistamines: When your body comes into connection with an allergen, it induces histamines to attach to cells and cause watery eyes. An antihistamine will stop histamines from ascribing.
- Cornflowers: Cornflowers have natural anti-inflammatory properties.. That will help worn-out and watery eyes and will weaken some of the swelling and watery nature.
- Protect: Shield your eyes from sunlight, damage, and blisters by wearing defensive accessories such as sunglasses or goggles because these factors may aggravate the situation.
- Eye wash solutions: Wash your eyes by using a sterile eye wash solution. Fill a cup midway with the solution. Put the cup on your eye, pressing it against the skin. Open the eye two to three whiles while moving it around to cleanse out any fragments.
- Herbal medicine: The herb eyebright has been used since early times as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent to treat conditions related to the eyes. If you use an eyebath that has the herb you can reduce the flow of watery fluid from your eyes.
Therefore, we see that runny noses and watery eyes can be easily cured at home. However if the situation worsens, you may have to see a Doctor for proper consultation.