Pains and body aches make you feel way older than your actual age. They demotivate you from your work and make you want to lie down idly all day long. Regrettably, pain has turned out to be an everyday problem for a large fraction of the population. Most of us normally turn towards painkillers like ibuprofen, paracetamol, or aspirin to counter these episodes of pain. Not surprisingly, these painkillers have emerged as a major proportion of folk medicine all around the globe. However, apart from these medicinal painkillers, natural painkillers are also present and work without posing any side effects on human health.
- Fish oil: It contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and two fundamental Omega 3 fatty acids. These molecules have been found to produce inflammatory chemicals in the human body that are known to cause many painful conditions in the human body, including rheumatoid arthritis, sinusitis, gout, and Crohn’s disease. Consuming just 3 grams of fish fats on a daily basis relives joint pain and morning stiffness. It reduces the number of tender joints and increment the time before you feel tired.
- Olive oil: It consists of a compound that works in a similar mechanism to that of ibuprofen. This active ingredient is called oleocanthal. It has been researched and found that 50 grams of extra-virgin olive oil as just as good as one-tenth of the ibuprofen dose that is normally prescribed for pain relief in adults. Although it cannot cure headaches, its regular use can provide long term benefits of ibuprofen.
- Tart cherries: Consuming around 20 tart cherries a day relieves more pain than aspirin does, that too at a faster rate. Moreover, just like Vitamin E, tart cherries have quite strong antioxidant supplements. The active antioxidant is anthocyanin, 12 to 25 grams of which are present in the mentioned number of cherries. Consuming tart cherries daily reduces the pain caused by gout, inflammation, and arthritis.
- Saliva: It contains a natural painkiller that is found to be six times more effective in comparison to morphine. The molecule produced by human saliva matches opiorphin and is being engineered to produce a new class of painkillers that will be way better than morphine, with lesser side effects.
- White Willow Bark: It reduces the rate of production of inflammation-causing molecules within the body. It also relieves fever quite effectively. It also contains acetyl salicylic acid, which is an artificial formula of aspirin. It has no side effects at all and is considered to be an effective treatment for arthritis, headache, backache, and toothache.
- Curcumin: It is a powdery compound present in turmeric that acts as a strong painkiller that functions by blocking inflammatory proteins. It works by posing any side effects for either the kidneys, liver, heart, or stomach. Just a small pinch of curcumin is enough for a day!
- Ginger: It is a natural anti-inflammatory medicine that helps relieve nausea, headaches, arthritis, muscle soreness, and menstrual cramps. Small quantities of chopped ginger in food, soup, or tea are great to keep you going.
- Garlic: Garlic has always played an incredible role when it comes to its anti-inflammatory and pain reducing properties. It is a very effective remedy to reduce pain caused by arthritis. Furthermore, it also treats toothaches.
Apart from these domestic remedies, you can also try effective, organic pain-reducing supplements. They would have lesser side effects as compared to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkillers, but would still not be side-effect free. It is therefore highly recommended that you always give an edge to natural remedies over synthetic medicines and supplements.